Auburn School Board of Directors honored
November 23, 2010 · Updated 5:55 PM
The Auburn School District Board of Directors has been selected as a 2010 Board of Distinction by the Washington State School Directors’ Association (WSSDA).
Auburn was one of 15 school boards awarded for demonstrating effective use of the Washington School Board Standards. The standards, developed and adopted by WSSDA in 2009, promote researched-based governance practices that lead to high levels of student and district performance.
Members of the Auburn School Board are Janice Nelson, Ray Vefik, Craig Schumaker, Carol Helgerson and Lisa Connors. The superintendent is Dr. Kip Herren.
Award applicants are required to submit an essay and supporting evidence to demonstrate how they are putting the new standards into practice. This year, applicants were asked to address the following benchmarks (one from each of the five standards):
• Conducting board and district business in a fair, respectful and responsible manner.
• Articulating the conviction that all students can learn and the belief that student learning can improve regardless of existing circumstances or resources.
• Providing for the safety and security of all students and staff.
• Committing to continuous improvement in student achievement at each school and throughout the district.
• Collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
Applications are evaluated by an independent review panel, and awards are given to those who receive at least 70 points out of a possible 100.