- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Pentatonix brings pop a capella sound to State Fair on Sept. 21
For the Reporter
The pop a capella quintet, Pentatonix, brings its unique sound and style to the Washington State Fair on Sunday, Sept. 21, part of the Columbia Bank Concert Series.
Pentatonix's popularity has grown since winning NBC's Season Three of "The Sing Off."
Tickets are $50 for Golden Circle, $40 and $30 for reserved seats and includes fair gate admission.
Tickets sales begin at 10 a.m. Saturday on the Fair website or by phone at 888-559-FAIR (3247) daily from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets also can be purchased in person at the fair's box office at 9th Avenue Southwest and Meridian Street on Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and a $1 per ticket service fee will be charged for on-site purchases.
Pentatonix is composed of lead vocalists Scott Hoying, Kirstie Maldonado and Mitch Grassi, vocal bass Avi Kaplan and beatboxer Kevin "K.O." Olusola. And, while the individuals would maintain that each of their fellow band members is irreplaceable, the fact remains that 24 hours before their audition for The Sing-Off they still hadn't all officially met.
A freshman at the University of Southern California, Hoying decided to audition for the show and enlisted childhood friends and fellow Arlington, Texas-natives Kirstie and Mitch. As a high school vocal trio, they had found success both locally and online thanks to their cover of Lady Gaga's "Telephone."
Determined to add depth and a distinctive dynamic to the group, Hoying set out to add more vocalists, first adding Kaplan. He then took to YouTube where he found the video for "Julie-O," featuring Olusola's cello-boxing (simultaneously beatboxing and performing the song on his cello).
After "The Sing Off," Pentatonix relocated to Los Angeles where they produced and released 2 EP's – PTX Vol 1 & PTXmas, each time debuting on Billboard's Top 200 and selling more than 125,000 albums.
They have twice toured North America, regularly selling out venues that include New York City's Best Buy Theater and San Francisco's Warfield Theater and their first ever European Tour sold out in its entirety.
Pentatonix has performed for Quincy Jones, and were a featured performer for Diana Ross at Los Angeles' Hollywood Bowl. Television appearances include performances on "Ellen", "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno, "The Katie Couric Show" and "The Talk".
They have been regularly featured online by RyanSeacrest.com, The Huffington Post, Buzzfeed and The New York Times.
The last few acts will be announced soon for the concert series. Visit www.thefair.com/concerts for updates, or sign up at www.thefair.com to receive email or text announcements prior to the concert on-sale dates.
STATE FAIR ENTERTAINMENT LINEUP
Date, performance, time, prices
• Sept. 5: Justin Playoffs Rodeo, 1 p.m. Friday matinee, $5*/$18
• Sept. 5: Clay Walker concert following rodeo (country), 6:30 p.m., $50 (Golden Saddle), $40, $30, $40 (standing in the dirt)
• Sept. 6: Justin Playoffs Rodeo 1 p.m. Saturday matinee, $30, $20, $16
• Sept. 6: Colt Ford concert following rodeo (country), 6:30 p.m., $35 (Golden Saddle), $25, $20, $30 (standing in the dirt)
• Sept. 7: Justin Playoffs Rodeo, Puyallup Finals, 1 p.m., $35, $25, $20
• Sept. 8: Jennifer Nettles That Girl Tour 2014, (country), 7:30 p.m., $75 (Golden Saddle), $50, $40, $30
• Sept. 9: Chicago/REO Speedwagon (classic rock), 7:30 p.m., $80 (Golden Circle), $50, $40. Pre-show dinner: $55**
• Sept. 10: Cody Simpson/Emblem3/MKTO/Coco Jones (pop), 5:30 p.m., $55 (Golden Circle), $35, $30, $20.
• Sept. 12: Fall Out Boy with Special Guest New Politics (pop), 7:30 p.m., $55 (infield general admission), $45 grandstand general admission
• Sept. 13: An Evening with Keith Urban, "Light the Fuse Tour" (country), 7:30 p.m., $100 (Golden Circle), $80, $40. Pre-show dinner: $55**
• Sept. 14: Teen Hoot (teen), 1 p.m., $25 infield general admission, $20 grandstand general admission
• Sept. 15: Florida Georgia Line (country), 7:30 p.m., $90 (Golden Circle), $70, $40, "Shine On" Pre-Show Party $30
• Sept. 17: Michael W. Smith/Amy Grant (Christian), 7:30 p.m., $50 (Golden Circle), $40, $30
• Sept. 18: Jeff Dunham (comedy), 7:30 p.m., $75 (Golden Circle), $50, $40. Pre-show dinner: $55**
• Sept. 19: The Music of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, A Rock Symphony (rock), 7:30 p.m., $45 (Golden Circle), $30, $20
• Sept. 20: Toby Keith, "Shut Up and Hold On" Tour, (country), 7:30 p.m., $100, $80, $40, "Red Cup" Pre-Show Party: $30**
• Sept. 21: Pentatonix (pop s capella), 7:30 p.m., $50 (Golden Circle), $40, $30
* Friday 1 p.m. rodeo does not include Fair gate admission. Gates are open free from 10 a.m.-noon.
** Pre-show dinner does not include Fair gate admission or concert ticket.