Our vote for mayor will go to Nancy Backus.
We have seen more positive changes in the past four years than we can list, but here are a few:
• Fourteen additional police officers hired.
• Many new businesses opened, which are providing living wage jobs.
• Allocation of more than $3 million in new funding for roads.
• The new community and event center constructed under budget.
• The challenging homeless situation and the rising crime rate are being aggressively addressed.
Nancy is not afraid to answer difficult questions and takes the time to do so. She works tirelessly for the city she loves.
I recently spoke to her very late on a Friday night, and she had six events to attend the following day, along with her daughter’s soccer game. She is devoted to her family as well as our citizens.
Her opponent states that she prefers to speak “one on one” but doesn’t have time to give “complete answers in a Facebook format.” The city does not need a mayor who is so control driven that she blocks her constituents to shut out our voices.
Backus’ opponent also claims opposition to budget decisions when in fact she voted yes to every one of them and also voted yes to support ST3.
We are choosing a candidate who is open, honest, transparent and does not flip flop.
Lastly, five out of seven City Council members are endorsing her? That’s a bit deceptive as she’s counting herself as well as a member who has endorsed both candidates. That doesn’t add up to five in my book.
– Bill and Sandi Parsons