Poetry, writing workshops and special guests highlight the AuburnFest Literary Showcase on Saturday, Aug. 11.
The City of Auburn, 4Culture, Striped Water Poets, and Northwest Renaissance present the showcase.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – A Workshop to Strengthen a Writer’s Poetry & Fiction presented by Thomas Hubbard, a teacher of writing and other subjects who also has worked as a carpenter, blues musician and freelance writer. He won the Seattle’s Grand Slam in 1995, and since has written three chapbooks, “Nail and Other Hardworking Poems,” “Junkyard Dogz,” and “Injunz.” He also has published an anthology, including 32 spoken word performers, titled “Children Remember Their Fathers.” His poetry, fiction and reviews have been published in numerous journals. Hubbard has served as vice president of the board of directors for the Washington Poets Association, and currently serves on the editorial staff of two magazines: Raven Chronicles and Cartier Street Review.
• 1-1:30 p.m. – Break and Book Fair
• 1:30-3:30 p.m. – You Are My Sunshine: Making the Most of Metaphors a workshop presented by Sharon Cumberland, professor emeritus of English and creative writing at Seattle University. Her most recent collections, “Peculiar Honors” and “Strange with Age,” are published by Black Heron Press.
• 3:30-5 p.m. – Featured poets, including Hubbard, Cumberland, Chad Sokolovsky, Lisa Schmidt
• 5-5:30 p.m. – Break and Book Fair
• 5:30-7 p.m. – Featured poets, including Katelyn Durst, Christopher J. Jarmick, Emilie Rommel Shimkus, Allen Braden
Book Fair participants:
Take-A-Book-Leave-A-Book Free Book Exchange Table
My Goldfish Stole The Moon
Rose Alley Press
Black Heron Press
Christopher J. Jarmick
Emilie Rommel Shimkus