Investigators determine Algona house fire was accidental
By ROBERT WHALE
Auburn Reporter News reporter
January 6, 2011 · 4:22 PM
Investigators say that the fire that damaged a home at 516 Algona Blvd. N. Monday afternoon was accidental.
"It started in the attic with a service light placed too close to combustibles," Kimberly McDonald, spokesperson for the Valley Regional Fire Authority, said Thursday.
The house was empty at the time, and nobody was hurt. The VRFA estimated damage to the building at about $50,000,
A passerby saw smoke pouring out of the roof and sides of the single story wood-frame home at 4:25 p.m. and called 911. When firefighters arrived six minutes later, they attacked the fire from outside first and then moved inside to kill it.
Crews from four VRFA fire engines, one aid car and one ladder truck responded. King County Medic One provided rehabilitation services for firefighters.Contact Auburn Reporter News reporter Robert Whale at email@example.com or 253-833-0218, ext. 5052.