- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Auburn's Veterans Memorial Building to be re-named in memory of war vet
The public is invited to help the City celebrate Memorial Day at Veterans Memorial Park and honor the memory of longtime community member William C. Warren as the Veterans Memorial building is re-named in his honor.
The celebration is 11 a.m. Monday, May 30 at Veteran's Memorial Park, 411 E. Street NE.
The annual Memorial Day Celebration includes a remembrance of Auburn's fallen heroes and speakers from the City of Auburn and local veteran's organizations. This year also will include the re-dedication of the Veterans Building to the William C. Warren Building.
Warren, a member of the Chippewa tribe, was born Sept. 23, 1923 in St. John, N.D. He enlisted in the Army in June 1940 and was deployed with his unit to the Pacific Theater of War where he made seven amphibious landings. He earned the rank of Sergeant and was decorated with the Bronze Star for his service to his country during World War II.
One of Warren's most cherished accomplishments was his design for Auburn's Veterans Memorial, which is located in the park and was dedicated on July 4, 2000.
Warren relocated to Washington, where he lived until is death on Oct. 14, 2010. He was an active member of the American Legion Auburn Post 78, Veterans of Foreign Wars Auburn Post 1741, and was a charter member of the Inter-Tribal Warrior Society.
The 1,928-square-foot building opened on Nov. 5, 2007, serves as the headquarters for the American Legion Auburn Post #78 and is available to rent for special events, meetings and parties. The building complements the nearly eight-acre Veterans Memorial Park, which also features a Veterans Memorial dedicated in 2002, a backyard idea garden, play structure, spray playground, basketball court and restroom facilities.