- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Auburn named WSSDA School Board of the Year
The Auburn School Board has been selected School Board of the Year by the Washington State School Directors' Association (WSSDA). The announcement was made last Saturday at the WSSDA annual conference in Bellevue.
Board members include Lisa Connors, Carol Helgerson, Janice Nelson, Craig Schumaker and Ray Vefik. Dr. Kip Herren is superintendent.
Auburn was selected from among 16 school boards that were honored as 2011 WSSDA Boards of Distinction.
WSSDA's Boards of Distinction awards program honors school boards that demonstrate effective use of the Washington School Board Standards. The standards, developed and adopted by WSSDA in 2009, promote researched-based governance practices that lead to high levels of student and district performance.
The five standards are:
• Provide responsible school district governance.
• Set and communicate high expectations for student learning with clear goals and plans for meeting those expectations.
• Create conditions district-wide for student and staff success.
• Hold school district accountable for meeting student learning expectations.
• Engage local community and represent the values and expectations they hold for schools.
As School Board of the Year, Auburn received a gift of $500 from the Washington School Boards' Educational Foundation.