County may build garbage transfer station in Federal Way
September 21, 2012 · Updated 2:12 PM
From staff reports:
King County will hold an open house from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, at the Auburn Senior Center (808 Ninth St. SE, Auburn) to discuss possible locations for a new garbage transfer station for South King County. Presentations will take place at 5 and 6 p.m.
The old transfer station in Algona is being shut down. The county is eyeing new locations, including one that would be located just east of I-5 on South 320th Street in Federal Way.
King County transfer stations are facilities where garbage hauling companies, businesses and residents can bring their waste.
The city invites residents to attend the Sept. 27 meeting so their input can be heard about the possibility of a garbage transfer station located in such a central part of the city. According to city spokesperson Chris Carrel, the city is concerned about the potential location for a number of reasons:
• Increased traffic congestion and safety issues
• Proximity to Federal Way’s downtown entryway
• Land use compatibility with adjacent properties
• Sensitive areas (wetlands) that are on or near the proposed site
• The site’s close proximity to the newly expanded Bow Lake Transfer station.