- About Us
Auburn named 2012 School Board of Distinction
Auburn was among 24 school boards in the state named a Board of Distinction by the Washington State School Directors' Association (WSSDA).
The Auburn School Board has been named a Board of Distinction (2010 and 2012) or School Board of the Year (2011).
Members of the Auburn School Board are: Lisa Connors, Janice Nelson, Ray Vefik, Carol Seng and Anne Baunach. The superintendent is Kip Herren.
"These boards have excelled as school governance teams," said Dr. Jonelle Adams, the association's executive director. "They provided extensive documentation and our evaluation was rigorous. They are exceptional school boards."
WSSDA's Boards of Distinction awards honor school boards that demonstrate effective use of the Washington School Board Standards. The standards, developed and adopted by WSSDA in 2009, promote research-based governance practices that lead to high levels of student and district achievement. It was the first year that the association separately honored a board in large, medium and small district size categories.
Award applicants submit an essay and supporting evidence to demonstrate how they are putting the standards into practice. This year applicants addressed the following:
• Respecting and advocating mutual understanding of the roles and responsibilities of board members and the superintendent.
• Adopting a collaboratively developed district plan focused on learning and achievement outcomes for all students.
• Providing for learning essentials, including rigorous curriculum, technology and high quality facilities.
• Measuring student academic progress and needs based on valid and reliable assessments.
• Ensuring district information and decisions are communicated community-wide.
Applications are evaluated by an independent review panel, and awards are given to those who receive at least an 80 percent score.