City utility discount and rebate program applications available

The City of Auburn offers reduced utility rates or rebates to citizens meeting certain age and income requirements. The annual application/renewal period is May 1 through May 31. The discount is also provided within the same financial limitations for customers who are totally and permanently disabled.

Applications are available at the Utility Customer Service Center (One East Main Street, second floor) or by calling 253-931-3038.

Information can also be found on the City of Auburn website under Utility Forms for Senior Discount Information.

A representative will be available to assist with completing the applications at the Utility Customer Service Center as follows:

• May 1-May 10: Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 9 a.m.-noon; Tuesday/Thursday, 1-4 p.m.
• May 13-May 31: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• May 27: Closed for Memorial Day


Utility discount applicant

• Must be head of household, have the City utility account in their name and be living at the residence
• Must be 62 years of age or older or permanently disabled

Rebate discount applicant

• Must be head of household, have the property rental agreement in their name, and be living at the residence
• Must be charged for utilities by their Property Management (water, sewer, storm and/or garbage)
• Must be 62 years of age or older or permanently disabled

Permanent disability

• Applicant must be permanently disabled as determined by a physician; subject to verification
• First-time applicants must fill out back of Utility Discount/Rebate application and provide doctor's signature and office stamp

Household income

• Total income from all sources must be less than the maximum amount allowed for very low income as defined by the Department of Housing & Urban Development 2013 Income. Limits: 1 person: $30,350; 2 people: $34,700; 3 people: $39,050; 4 People: $43,350
• Applicant cannot be receiving utility allowances OR rent subsidies from another governmental agency (i.e. HUD, King County Housing, Section 8, SHAG, etc)
• Applicant must claim income for EACH individual living in the household

Documents required with application

• Copy of Washington State Driver's License or I.D. card showing date of birth
• 2012 Tax Return and all other sources of income for EACH individual living within the household including:

Social Security Benefits (annual statement)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI letter from DSHS)
Pension & Annuities statement
IRA Distribution Statement
Dividends and/or Interest Statement
Business Income Statement
Unemployment Annual Statement
Any other documents showing income

• Rebate Applicants – proof of residency from May 31, 2012-April 30, 2013

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates