News

VRFA fire and rescue blotter | June 14

Valley Regional Fire Authority - Courtesy Photo
Valley Regional Fire Authority
— image credit: Courtesy Photo

The Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 183 calls for service between June 3 and 9, among them the following:

June 3

Aid call: 10:56 a.m., (Auburn). Firefighters checked on an older woman suffering from a decreased level of consciousness and a private ambulance drove her to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center (MAMC) for further treatment.

June 4

Fire alarm: 9:46 p.m., (Lakeland Hills). Responding to an alarm sounding in a home and finding an expired battery activating the hard-wired alarm system, firefighters replaced the battery and restored the system to normal.

June 5

It's a girl!: 5:23 a.m., (Lea Hill). Within 10 minutes of firefighters arrival at an imminent child birth, the mother's water broke. Nine minutes later a baby girl arrived to greet her parents. King County paramedics transported mother and child to Valley Medical Center in good shape.

June 6

Aid call: 8:15 a.m., (Pacific) Firefighters evaluated an older woman complaining of chest pressure and King County Medics transported her to St. Francis Hospital.

June 7

Aid call: 12:28 p.m., (Lea Hill). Crews evaluated and treated a man in the throes of stroke-like symptoms before a private ambulance transported him to a local hospital.

June 8

Residential fire: 12:39 a.m., (South Auburn). Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a fully involved shed fire spreading to a home. Initial reports indicated that the occupants were still inside the home, but it turned out, thanks to an alert neighbor, that everyone had escaped unharmed. The fire rapidly spread from the small shed to the attic of the nearby home. Firefighters knocked down the flames from outside then quickly transitioned to the interior of the home to attack the attic fire from underneath by pulling ceiling. The VRFA estimated the damage at $25,000. The American Red Cross relocated the five displaced residents to a local hotel. The fire was an accident.

June 9

Carbon monoxide alarm: 8:31 a.m., (Auburn). Firefighters responding to a carbon monoxide alarm activation that had awakened a sleeping family soon confirmed high CO readings in the home. The cause was a restoration vehicle in the attached garage with an automatic starting device that had spontaneously started, filling the home with exhaust fumes. The CO monitor was key to alerting the residents to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Nov 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates