- About Us
Ready, set, close eastbound SR 18 in Auburn for repairs July 26-29
For the Reporter
A posse of pavement repair professionals will descend on eastbound State Route 18 for a weekend of concrete and asphalt fix-ups in Auburn, starting Friday.
All lanes will reopen just after sunrise Monday, welcoming drivers and freight-haulers to a smoother ride.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, contractor crews will close most of eastbound SR 18 between SR 167 and Southeast 304th Street to resurface the eastbound Green River Bridge and rebuild a 200-foot section of highway approaching C Street Southwest. All lanes will reopen in time for the Monday morning commute.
"If bumps, wheel ruts and potholes are tell-tale signs of a well-traveled highway, then this stretch of SR 18 in south King County is one of the region's favorite routes," said Washington State Department of Transportation project engineer Aleta Borschowa. "Closing a three-mile section of eastbound SR 18 for a full weekend is inconvenient, but the alternative – closing the highway every night for several weeks – would be harder on drivers who depend on this route to get between I-90 and I-5."
This weekend's closure details
Lane closures: 8 p.m. Friday, July 26 – 6 a.m. Monday, July 29
• All eastbound SR 18 traffic west of SR 167 will be diverted to SR 167.
• No through traffic allowed on eastbound SR 18 between SR 167 and just west of Southeast 304th Street.
• Local access only on eastbound SR 18 between Auburn Way South and Southeast Auburn-Black Diamond Road.
Ramp closures: 8 p.m. Friday, July 26 – 6 a.m. Monday, July 29
• Northbound and southbound SR 167 off-ramps to eastbound SR 18 closed.
• C Street Southwest on-ramp to eastbound SR 18 closed.
• Southeast Auburn-Black Diamond Road on-ramp to eastbound SR 18 closed.
"Locals know there are lots of ways to get to destinations along eastbound SR 18. Because there are so many options, drivers won't see detour signs," said Borschowa. "We've been working with the City of Auburn to determine a few alternate routes that work best for folks heading in from outside the area."
Drivers should plan ahead and visit the project website for alternate route maps and more information.
To eastbound SR 18 via SR 516 (view map):
• From northbound and southbound SR 167: exit at 277th Street and follow signs to SR 516
• Turn right onto SR 516 and follow signs to eastbound SR 18.
To the Muckleshoot Casino via Auburn Way South (view map):
• From northbound and southbound SR 167: exit at 15th Street Northwest and turn right onto Auburn Way South to SR 164.
• Follow signs to the casino.
Tools for drivers
• Subscribe to the South King County construction email update: go here and search for "South King County News."
• Seattle area traffic: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle
• Traffic cameras: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic
• Travel alerts: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/trafficalerts
• Traffic products for your mobile phone and other wireless devices: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/products
• Follow WSDOT on Twitter: @wsdot_traffic for Puget Sound traffic.
• Call 511 for traffic updates.
• Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.
Since early July, night crews have been repaving and improving drainage systems on both directions of SR 18 between Highway 99 and Weyerhaeuser Way. Nightly paving and highway improvements will continue through August.
Visit WSDOT's King County construction page and search for "SR 18 Paving and bridge deck rehab" for more information.