Man pleads not guilty to vehicular homicide in death of his girlfriend's 5-year-old son

The King County Prosecutor claims Tony Daniel Goodnow was angry, liquored up and speeding on State Route 164 east of Auburn the morning he lost control of his car on a curve in thick fog and slammed into a tree, inflicting severe internal trauma on his fiancee's 5-year-old son and injuring the boy's 9-year-old sister.

The boy, Stacey-Izaac Holmes, died seven hours later at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Amaria Brown was treated for minor injuries and later released from the hospital.

The childrens' mother was not in the car.

Goodnow was arraigned last week and pleaded not guilty to a charge of vehicular homicide.

A case setting hearing is scheduled for April 9 at the Maleng Regional Justice Center.

Senior Deputy Prosecutor Amy Freedheim Freedheim asked the court to set Goodnow's bail at $300,000 and to prohibit his use of any liquor or non-prescribed drugs. Further, she asked the court to require that he show proof that he has purchased an ignition interlock device and that he have no contact with Amaria Brown.

The childrens' mother did not cooperate with the investigation.

Goodnow is a convicted felon with a record of numerous criminal charges, among them: car theft, 2010; criminal trespassing-obstructing-assault 4-resisting arrest, 2010; criminal trespassing-theft, 2010; theft and being a minor in possession, 2010; making false statements, 2010; criminal trespassing, 2010; being a minor in possession, 2011; being a minor intoxicated in public, 2011; and criminal trespassing-malicious mischief, 2011.

Here is what happened according to charging papers and the Auburn Police Department's Certification of Probable Cause, on which the charges are based.

At 2:20 a.m., Dec. 29, 2013, Goodnow and his two passengers were traveling westbound in the 3700 block of SR-164 in a Ford Taurus. According to charging papers, Holmes, angry at the time because he could not find the house of somebody he was looking for, consumed several beers in front of the children.

According to charging papers, two people, one of them an Auburn patrol officer, the other a civilian, saw Goodnow speeding in the fog at about 80-90 mph hour in a posted 50 mph area.

Shortly after that, according to court papers, Goodnow lost control of the car on a curve on the north side of the highway, leaving 116 feet of tire marks before he struck a curb and went airborne. The car then smashed into a large tree, uprooting it, spun into a large boulder, spun counter clockwise and landed in a parking stall.

Holmes, Goodnow's front-seat passenger, who was not wearing a seatbelt, or in a car seat, struck the dashboard, according to court papers. Goodnow sustained facial fractures and broken bones. Although Brown crawled from a rear window, the Valley Regional Fire Authority had to extricate Goodnow and Holmes.

The first officer at the scene, smelling liquor on Goodnow's breath, asked responding medics to obtain a blood draw, according to court papers.

According to court papers, the toxicology report from the Washington State Crime Lab later showed Goodnow's blood-alcohol content at the time of the accident to have been 0.16, twice the legal limit. The report also revealed that he had 56 mg. of carboxy-THC in his system, proving that he had consumed marijuana at some point over the days leading up to the accident.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates