Fire investigators say Gildo Rey Elementary fire was accidental

An electrical malfunction in a light, investigators say, was responsible for an early morning fire at Gildo Rey Elementary School in Auburn.

Nobody was hurt. The school was not in session at the time, and arriving students were redirected to the gymnasium.

Firefighters contained the fire to one room.

At 7:47 a.m., Valley Com dispatched firefighters from the Valley Regional Fire Authority to an automatic fire alarm at the school. Firefighters found smoke in a non-sprinklered area in the school's north wing. The first company on scene made a speedy attack to keep the fire from spreading.

Damages are estimated at $50,000.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Sep 23
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates