News

VRFA fire and rescue blotter | July 18

Valley Regional Fire Authority - Courtesy Photo
Valley Regional Fire Authority
— image credit: Courtesy Photo

The Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 235 calls for service between July 14 and 20, among them the following:

July 14

Commercial fire: 10:49 p.m., (Auburn). Responding to a report of smoke pouring out of a building in the 3400 block of I Street Northeast, the Valley Regional Fire Authority, the Kent Regional Fire Authority and South King Fire arrived at a residential apartment filled with smoke. When firefighters got in, they discovered a dryer fire that had spread to the room's contents. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and confirmed nobody was inside. Although heat and smoke damage displaced one resident, nobody was hurt. Fire investigators determined the fire had started in a clothes dryer, causing approximately $30,000 dollars worth of damage.

July 15

Aid call: 10:55 a.m., (Algona). After firefighters had evaluated an Auburn senior who was feeling weak and struggling to breathe, a private ambulance transported him to an area hospital.

July 16

Aid call: 9:40 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters responded to the Food Market on Southeast 312th to help an Auburn senior who had tripped and fallen, sustaining an injured left arm and pain on his right hip. A private ambulance transported the man to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center (MAMC).

July 17

Aid call: 11:20 p.m., (Auburn). Firefighters and King County Medics helped a young boy who had fallen off the back of a large construction backhoe and landed on a grading blade at the rear of the machine, injuring his back and pelvis. After firefighters stabilized the boy at the scene, they transported him to a local hospital for more treatment.

July 18

Aid call: 7:30 a.m., (Lakeland Hills). Firefighters helped a female with a rapid heart rate, then called King County Medics in to administer advanced treatment. King County Medics later transported the female to MAMC.

July 19

Minor fire: 2:40 p.m., (Pacific). Firefighters responding to an unknown type fire on a stove arrived to find that the occupants had already used an extinguisher to snuff out the fire. Items that had been left on the stove top turned out to have caused the fire. The engine crew checked the stove and the area around it to ensure that the fire had no spread, and, finding no other damage, left the scene to the resident.

July 20

Aid call: 9:30 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters evaluated a small boy who had sustained possible injuries from a fall. After a medical evaluation, firefighters determined that the boy was well enough that they could leave him in the care of his parents, and that's what they did.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Nov 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates