Man sentenced to 8 1/2 years for vehicular homicide

Tony Goodnow, 22, was sentenced July 18 to 8 1/2 years in prison for a collision last December that killed his girlfriend's 5-year-old son, Stacey-Izaac Holmes, in Auburn.

Goodnow, who pleaded guilty in June to DUI vehicular homicide, was under the influence of alcohol when he lost control of his vehicle at a high rate of speed and slammed into a tree.

Holmes died seven hours later at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The boy's sister, Amaria Brown, riding in the back seat at the time of the accident, was later treated for minor injuries and released from the hospital.

The children's mother was not in the car at the time of the accident and did not cooperate with the investigation.

Judge Andrea Darvas handed the sentence down at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent last Friday.

Here is what happened, according to court documents and the Auburn Police Department's Certification of Probable Cause, on which the charges were based.

At 2:20 a.m., Dec. 29, 2013, Goodnow and his two young passengers were traveling westbound in the 3700 block of SR-164 in a Ford Taurus. According to charging papers, Goodnow, angry at the time because he could not find the house of somebody he was looking for, downed several beers in front of the children.

According to court papers, two people, one of them an Auburn patrol officer, the other a civilian, saw Goodnow speeding in the fog at about 80-90 mph hour in a posted 50 mph area.

Shortly after that, Goodnow lost control of the car on a curve on the north side of the highway, leaving 116 feet of tire marks before he struck a curb, went airborne, smashed into a large tree, uprooting it, spun into a large boulder, spun counter clockwise and landed in a parking stall.

Holmes, Goodnow's front-seat passenger, who was not wearing a seatbelt and was not in a car seat, struck the dashboard. Goodnow sustained facial fractures and broken bones. Although Brown crawled from a rear window, the Valley Regional Fire Authority had to extricate Goodnow and Holmes.

Smelling liquor on Goodnow's breath, the first officer at the scene asked responding medics to obtain a blood draw.

The subsequent toxicology report from the Washington State Crime Lab showed Goodnow's blood-alcohol content at the time of the accident to have been 0.16, twice the legal limit. The report also disclosed that he had 56 milligrams of carboxy-THC in his system, proof that he had consumed marijuana at some point in the days leading up to the accident.

Goodnow is a convicted felon with a record of numerous criminal charges, among them: car theft, 2010; criminal trespassing-obstructing-assault 4-resisting arrest, 2010; criminal trespassing-theft, 2010; theft and being a minor in possession, 2010; making false statements, 2010; criminal trespassing, 2010; being a minor in possession, 2011; being a minor intoxicated in public, 2011; and criminal trespassing-malicious mischief, 2011.

Senior DPA Amy Freedheim handled the case.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates