- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Veterans Day parade award winners announced
The U.S. Army 56 State and Territorial Flag Marching Unit was one of six category award winners from last Saturday’s 43rd annual Veterans Day parade.
The outfit took the Admiral’s Award for Best Military Unit at the mile-long parade.
The Auburn Parks, Arts & Recreation Department announced the awards this week.
According to officials, with 208 entries – 29 of them being high school marching bands – it was increasingly difficult to determine the winner in each category. A panel of three judges sat at the reviewing stand and took on the complex task of deciding the winners.
This year’s winners were:
• General’s Award – Best in Parade: Washington State Blue Star Moms, Gold Star Moms & Marine Moms
• Admiral’s Award – Best Military Entry: U.S. Army – 56 State & Territorial Flag Marching Unit
• Memorial Award to Harold Page – Best Veteran Service Organization Entry: U.S. Submarine Veterans (World War II & Inc.)
• Colonel’s Award – Best Motorized Entry: Puget Sound Military Vehicle Collectors Club
• Veteran’s Award – Best Animal/Mounted Entry: 1st U.S. Cavalry, Company A
• Mayor’s Award – Best Musical or Drill Entry: Sumner High School Marching Band
The 2009 event is scheduled for Nov. 7.
For additional details and event information, visit www.auburnwa.gov or call 253-931-3043.