The trial date for an Auburn man whom the King County Prosecutor claims took a 14-year-old middle school student to his apartment on Oct. 9, 2018 and raped her starts at 9 a.m., July 10 in Courtroom GA of the Regional Justice Center in Kent.
The original trial date had been May 29.
Ronald Williams is up against a lone charge of second-degree rape, which is a class A felony.
At first, the KCP charged Williams with third-degree rape of a child, first-degree kidnapping and second-degree assault, but it later dropped the kidnapping and assault charges, suggesting possible concerns with the original account.
Here, according to the Auburn Police Department’s write-up, is what happened:
At about 12:40 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 9 Auburn officers responded to a call about a possible kidnapping and sexual assault in the 500 block of 37th Street Southeast. Officers found the girl, who reported that a felony had occurred at 537 37th St. SE. Police say the girl had picked up her attacker’s cellphone during a lull in the assault and called 911.
Police said when they arrived and escorted the girl away, Williams barricaded himself in his apartment with a handgun and refused to come out, At that point, Valley Com dispatched negotiators and the Valley SWAT team to the scene, and placed Mt. Baker Middle School and Gildo Rey Elementary under precautionary lockdown, while police closed both directions of 37th Street Southeast for several hours.
No shots were fired during the standoff, which ended at about 5 p.m. with Williams’ surrender to police.
The girl told police her attacker had stuck what she believed to have been a gun against her back as she was walking to school, told her to cooperate and play nice and directed her to his apartment, where he raped her.