Two teenage boys escaped their burning mobile home Wednesday afternoon in the 200 block of Auburn Way South, but Valley Regional Fire Authority firefighters had to rescue two dogs trapped in the home, one of which died.
VRFA crews arrived at the home in the Auburn Manor mobile home community within five minutes of the 2:43 p.m. dispatch and quickly knocked down the flames. The boys were already out when the firefighters got there, but told the crews that their two dogs were still inside. Firefighters found the dogs, and with the help of King County Medic One, used a pet resuscitation mask on them. Both dogs were treated for smoke inhalation, and the surviving dog was transported to a local veterinary hospital for further care.
A family of four, two adults and the two boys, lived in the home, but given the extent of fire and smoke damage cannot stay there at this time. The American Red Cross is helping the family with temporary housing and food.
A VRFA Fire Investigator is on the scene.