“Last of the HK3”
On September 8, 2017, Charles Frederick Hough passed away in University Place, Washington at the age of 97, the last of the “Hough Kids Three” as Louis, Bill, and Chuck were known to family and friends. Born in Auburn, Washington on January 22, 1920 to William George and Marie Francis Schmidt Hough, Chuck was a graduate of Auburn High School in 1939.
Following graduation, Chuck began his career with the Northern Pacific Railroad. Realizing that war was eminent, he enlisted in the US Navy in September 1940, serving on the USS Acorn out of Port Hueneme, California. While stationed there, Chuck met and married Irene Adrienne Newton November 9, 1945 in Pasadena, California.
After his discharge from the Navy, Chuck resumed his career with the NPRR in Washington State. During his tenure with the railroad, he worked as brakeman, conductor, and lobbyist in Olympia for the railroad trainmen. Besides his work with the railroad, Mr. Hough served as an Auburn city councilman and belonged to Masons, Shriners, Elks and Eagles fraternal organizations. He was a life-long member of the Presbyterian Church.
Throughout his work years and his retirement from the railroad (in the 1980’s), Chuck continued to enjoy his life-long hobb1es of gardening, woodworking, stain glass, and boating. He also maintained his involvement in the retired railroad employees association.
Chuck is predeceased by his parents, his sister Clara (in 1914-age 3), his brothers, Louis Henry and William Edmond, his first wife, Irene, his long-time companion, Jeanne Mendenhall, and many classmates, workmates, and friends.
Survived by his present wife of 13 years, Doralice, with whom he became reacquainted in Tacoma. She had worked with Chuck when he was lobbyist for the railroad trainman. Also surviving him are his stepdaughter, Vicki Lang and family and several nephews and nieces.
Mr. Hough will be laid to rest in Mountain View Cemetery in, Auburn, Washington with his first wife, lrene. Reunited at last. At his request, no service will be held. Donations/Remembrances may be forwarded to Franciscan Hospice House at 2901 Bridgeport Way West, University Place, WA 98466.