- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Auburn, Auburn Mountainview, Auburn Riverside boys soccer previews | At a glance
RAVENS AT A GLANCE
• COACH: Robyn Saarenas, 12th season
• LAST YEAR'S RECORD: 7-7-4 with 11 points overall, fifth in the South Puget Sound League North 4A (7-5-4 25 points), qualified for the West Central District III/Southwest District 4 tourney.
• TOP RETURNERS: Adrian Correa, junior, midfielder; Lucas Turner, senior, defender; and Fidel Cabanas, senior, midfielder.
• OUTLOOK: Last season the Ravens made it out of a tough South Puget Sound League North 4A, dominated by state champion Jefferson, and found themselves on the brink of a state playoff appearance. A 4-0 loss to Camas dashed Auburn Riverside's state tournament dreams in district play.
Last year's top player, first-team All-SPSL North 4A selection and midfielder Brandon Gonzales is gone, but the core of Correa, Turner and Cabanas, all-league honorable mentions last season, returns.
• MARK YOUR CALENDAR: The Ravens travel to district rival Auburn at 7:30 p.m. April 4 at Auburn Memorial Stadium. The teams meet again at 7:30 p.m. May 3 at Auburn Riverside. The Ravens' first match against defending state 4A champ Thomas Jefferson is at 7:30 p.m. April 7 at Auburn Riverside High School.
TROJANS AT A GLANCE
• COACH: John Yorke, 21st season
• LAST YEAR'S RECORD: 4-11-1, 13 points overall, 8th place in SPSL North 4A (4-11-1, 9 points) record).
• TOP RETURNERS: Andrew Nordlie, senior, forward; and Logan Jones, junior, defender; Geo Barrientos, sophomore, midfielder.
• OUTLOOK: Senior forward Nordlie returns to help spur the team offensively. Nordlie was a second-team All-SPSL North 4A selection last season. Also returning are junior defender Jones and sophomore midfielder Barrientos, both all-league honorable mentions from last season. Between the pipes the Trojans are young, with all three underclassmen – two freshman and a sophomore – listed on the roster.
• MARK YOUR CALENDAR: The Trojans host district rival Auburn Riverside at 7:30 p.m. April 4 at Auburn Memorial Stadium. The teams meet again at 7:30 p.m. May 3 at Auburn Riverside. The Trojans test themselves at 7:30 p.m. April 9 at Federal Way Stadium when they play defending 4A state champion Thomas Jefferson.
LIONS AT A GLANCE
• COACH: Jimmy Fioretti, 2nd year
• LAST YEAR'S RECORD: 9-5-2 overall, 2nd place in SPSL 3A (8-2-0) record. Lost in West Central District III/Southwest District 4 tourney.
• TOP RETURNERS: Alex Fausko, senior, goalkeeper; Curtis English, senior, midfielder; Emmanuel Saah, junior, midfielder; Emmanuel Maya-Mendoza, senior, midfielder; Christian Rotter, sophomore, forward; Farris Idrees, junior, midfielder; Duvan Vaca-Trujillo, sophomore, forward; and Karan Kang, junior, midfielder.
• OUTLOOK: Simply put, the Lions are loaded. With nine returning starters and 14 players back from last year's varsity roster, the team improved with the additions of freshman Erik Stone and Erik De Anda and transfer stukdent Vaca-Trujillo. Fausko and Saah are both returning first-team All-SPSL 3A selections, and English was picked to the second team this past season.
"We are hoping to improve upon our second-place finish in the SPSL 3A, but we still have a formidable opponent in Bonney Lake," Fioretti said.
Defending 3A state champs Bonney Lake, who finished 10-0-0 in the SPSL 3A, defeated Auburn Mountainview twice last season.
• MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Auburn Mountainview hosts Bonney Lake at 7 p.m. April 7 and travels to take on the Panthers again at 7 p.m. May 5.