This week the Museum of Flight presents dozens of Apollo-related programs and activities this special week, ranging from musical theater and concerts, to family activities, lectures with space experts and daily screenings of the feature-length version of the acclaimed documentary, “Apollo 11.”
The programs are part of the museum’s tribute to the Apollo 11 lunar landing and man’s first steps on the moon. Fifty years ago this Saturday, Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk the moon.
Apollo 11 anniversary week events
Destination Moon: The Apollo 11 Mission exhibit continues until Sept. 2, daily Apollo and spaceflight events July 15-21, with the evening Lunar Block Party outdoor festival July 19-20.
• 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Spaceflight activities and 13 special programs for the family (plus a live, national NASA TV broadcast from the museum, 10 a.m.-noon).
• 6-11 p.m. – Flashback Friday 1960s outdoor family festival, headlined with concert by Britishmania Beatles Tribute Band concert, plus ‘60s car show, circus performers, “Space Jam” movie and much more.
July 20 – The Day We Landed on the Moon
• 10 a.m.-5 p.m. – Spaceflight activities, movies and nine special programs for the family.
• 6-11 p.m. – 50th Anniversary Concert with 2019 American Idol Top Ten
Outdoor music festival with the 2019 American Idol Top Ten concert at 8 p.m., following a tribute by astronaut Dottie Metcalf-Lindenberger in honor of the first steps on the moon. Food trucks, beer and wine garden and special attractions.
• 10 a.m.-5 p.m. – Spaceflight activities and 13 special programs for the family.
• 9 a.m.-noon – Spashdown Sunday champagne brunch with astronauts and space experts dedicated to the future of space exploration.
With record attendance and high demand to see the Destination Moon: The Apollo 11 Mission exhibit, the Museum of Flight has extended the hours of its East Campus until 8 p.m. from July 15-Aug. 5. The last museum access on Moon Mondays is 6:30 p.m., with entry to Destination Moon ending at 7 p.m. (first come, first served).
For hours, admission prices, directions and other information, visit museumofflight.org.