Percussion group comes to Auburn for symphony fundraiser

Percussion group comes to Auburn for symphony fundraiser

Auburn Symphony’s second annual Harvest Happy Hour is the orchestra’s most important fundraiser of the year. The event takes place 5-7:30 p.m. Oct. 20 at Green River College’s Lindbloom Center. Tickets and information can be found at or by calling the box office at 253-887-7777. Each $50 ticket includes heavy hors d’oeuvres, one beverage, and a 30-minute concert. Proceeds will benefit the organization’s artistic and educational programming.

The event will include music by arx duo, which consists of percussionists Garrett Arney and Mari Yoshinaga. The duo is dedicated to expanding the genre of percussion chamber music by creating and presenting new and engaging works as well as educating young artists around the world. The name “arx duo” comes from the artists’ desire to forge new connections and artistic pathways or “arcs” within the genre, expanding the opportunities for their music to reach new audiences. Garrett Arney is a featured soloist in ASO’s 2023-24 season, so listeners will be able to get a preview of his virtuosity.

Green River College AAPI

Green River College was recently selected as a recipient of funding from the U.S. Department of Education’s Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISI) program. Green River College will receive nearly $1.9 million to support ongoing efforts to serve 4,648 current and prospective students during the 2023-2028 grant period.

The AANAPISI program is designed to help institutions that serve a high number of Asian American (AA), Pacific Islander (PI), and low-income students to better support their enrollment, progress, credential completion and graduation.

The grant will enable Green River to implement a wide range of initiatives aimed at enhancing the educational experience and outcomes of AAPI and low-income students.

The $1,891,827 the college will receive between 2023-2028 equals 85% of the above initiatives’ cost. The remaining 15% will be raised through private matching donations to an endowment fund at the Green River College Foundation that will issue emergency aid to AAPI and low-income students in crisis. Individuals interested in contributing to the matching fund can do so by visiting