The Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 308 calls for service between Jan. 2 and Jan. 8, among them the following:
Aid call: 1:53 p.m. (Auburn). When firefighters arrived to help a male who’d overdosed on fentanyl, they discovered that bystanders had already provided several intra-nasal naloxone sprays, so personnel continued the treatment. King County paramedics evaluated the guy, and a VRFA unit transported him to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center.
Residential fire: 6:43 a.m. (Lake Tapps). Firefighters responding as mutual aid with East Pierce Fire and Rescue to a house fire arrived to find the structure fully engulfed in flames, so they used a defensive strategy. Nobody was hurt, but the house was a total loss.
Battery fire: 8:56 a.m. (Auburn). Firefighters responded to a lithium-ion battery fire and discovered a small box containing several laptop batteries aflame in the parking lot of an electronics recycling business. Firefighters put out the fire, and placed the destroyed batteries in a metal cart away from the building.
Aid call: 11:15 a.m. (Auburn). Firefighters and paramedics evaluated and treated an unconscious woman, and transported her to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center for continued care.
Accident: 5:44 p.m. (Auburn). Firefighters responding to a two-vehicle, T-bone collision helped one person out and transported her to a local hospital for further evaluation. They also treated a male and transported him to a local hospital for evaluation.
Plane crash: 1:20 p.m. (Kent). Firefighters responded to a report of an airplane into a storage building in Kent and arrived to find that a plane had crashed onto the roof of the building. Firefighters from multiple agencies worked to extricate two men before King County Medic One transported them to local hospitals.
Vehicle fire: 4:33 p.m. (Auburn). Firefighters responding to a reported vehicle on fire with flames threatening a house found the engine compartment of the vehicle on fire, but not endangering any buildings. Firefighters used a hose line to extinguish the fire quickly. The cause of the fire is unknown.