Between April 5 and April 11, the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 258 calls for service, among them the following.
Aid call: 2:23 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters evaluated an Auburn senior citizen who was afflicted by severe leg pain. Concerned that the leg pain could be a symptom of an underlying medical concern that should be evaluated in a hospital setting, firefighters arranged for a private ambulance to motor the woman to a local area hospital.
Accident: 4:24 p.m., (Auburn). Firefighters responding to a semi-truck that had crashed into a tree arrived to find two passenger cars with damage and a semi-truck with the driver trapped. Once firefighters stabilized the tractor-trailer, they used ladders to create a work platform across a retention pond to gain access to the truck driver, and then used hydraulic tools to extricate the driver. Four patients were transported by undisclosed means to local hospitals for further treatment and evaluation.
CPR: 5:20 p.m., (Auburn). Firefighters responding to an unconscious man in the bathroom stall of a restaurant found him pulseless and not breathing, so they started CPR and called for paramedics. King County Medic One later transported the man to a local hospital.
Residential fire: 2:11 p.m., (Pacific). VRFA units were dispatched to smoke and flames coming from under a house. E333 arrived and initiated a quick hit of the fire from the outside through a crawl space ventilation hole in the front of the home. Other units arrived, conducted a search of the home, and verified that there was no one home at the time and that no fire had extended into the home itself.
Structure fire: 5:57 p.m., (Sumner). Firefighters assisted East Pierce Fire & Rescue with extinguishing a structure fire. When crews arrived, a detached garage had heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the garage. The fire was quickly controlled and did not extend to a nearby house.
Cooking fire: 5:45 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters responded to a report of a minor fire in a garage. Firefighters arrived to find that the family had installed a stove in the garage, and had spilled cooking oil on the burner. The oil ignited and spread to the wall and ceiling. The resident had extinguished the fire prior to the arrival of the fire department. Firefighters checked to make sure the fire had not gotten inside the walls or ceiling. Firefighters secured power to the stove.
Accident: 1:33 p.m., (Auburn). Firefighters assisted multiple patients that were involved in a vehicle accident. One patient was transported to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center by private ambulance for a possible broken arm.