February is the month for love – time to celebrate the Valentines who hold special places in our hearts.
This year, maybe it’s time to consider that special someone who makes your life easier and helps keep our community clean, green, and safe all year long. What’s to love about your local Waste Management driver? Let’s count the ways.
1. They’re reliable. The recycling drivers who serve Auburn are not like a box of chocolates; you always know what you’re going to get on collection day – reliable service with a smile and a friendly wave!
2. They’re always looking out for you. Waste Management drivers are trained to observe and report anything unusual along their routes through a program called Waste Watch. It’s a community partnership that has saved lives and solved crimes nationwide.
3. They’re your Recycle Often Recycle Right partner. Your driver is your ally for making sure materials make it to the right carts. If you’ve ever come home to find a note fastened to your cart, you know what I mean. Like that time your kids put a plastic bag full of recyclables in the cart. Chances are, your eagle-eyed driver caught it and left you a reminder. (For next time, remember, it’s important to place recyclables loose in your cart. That’s the best to way to ensure the items in your cart get sorted properly and made into new products).
4. They’re all about clean air and quieter streets for Auburn. Yes, that shiny green truck is powered by natural gas, so the engine runs cleaner and quieter for a smaller carbon footprint. Most of the Waste Management trucks serving communities across Western Washington are powered by renewable natural gas. That’s gas we collect at our landfills – gas from garbage!
5. They’re a role model in the community. Take driver Beverly Fecteau as an example. Bev has earned the respect of her team by always showing up on time and ready to roll. She is a rock star on her route for safety and efficiency and is often approached by women wanting to know more about careers at Waste Management.
So, this February, let’s send some sweet thoughts to Auburn’s faithful recycling drivers for everything they do to take care of our community.
Hannah Scholes is the recycling education and outreach manager for Waste Management. Learn more at sustainability.wm.com.