Darcy Read Memorial Co-op Preschool’s Open House:
10 a.m.-noon and 12:30-2:30 p.m. April 9. Morning, 2-3-year-olds; afternoon, preschool-kindergarteners. Preschool representatives will be available to answer questions. Snacks provided. All Saints Lutheran Church, 27225 Military Road S., Auburn.
Pea Patch Program Opens: April 12. Auburn Parks, Arts and Recreation Department will rent out plots for urban gardeners to raise their own produce. Cost: $25 for Auburn residents; $32 for non-residents. Location: Behind the Metro Park & Ride on 15th Avenue Northeast. 253-931-3043.
Healthy Kids Day: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. April 12. Features activities, health and wellness resources, and prize giveaways. Cost: Free. Auburn Valley YMCA, 1620 Perimeter Road S.W., Auburn. 253-833-2770.
Foster Kids Shoe Drive: Through April 13. Donors can bring new shoes for foster children to any Sleep Country location. Call for details, directions. 888-887-5337 or www.sleepcountry.com.
April Pools Day: 1-3:30 p.m. April 19. Features water safety training, prizes, refreshments and open swim. Cost: Free. Auburn School District Pool, 516 Fourth St. N.E. 253-815-0873.
McTeacher’s Night: 5-8 p.m. April 24. Teachers from Valley Christian School will help serve dinner for students and parents. Also includes raffle and visit with local emergency services personnel. Part of the evening’s sales will benefit the school. McDonald’s, 702 Auburn Way S., Auburn. 253-833-3530.
“Paving the Road to Recovery” Auction and Community Awards Dinner: 6 p.m. April 25. Presented by Valley Cities Counseling and Consultation. Cost: $45. Muckleshoot Casino, 2402 Auburn Way S., Auburn. 253-876-3422.
Vehicle Check-ups and Maintenance Education: Noon-4 p.m. April 26. Includes free vehicle inspections, snacks, prizes and car care demonstrations. Cost: Free; donations for Auburn Food Bank welcome. Auburn Muffler Brake & Radiator, 1301 Auburn Way S., Auburn. 253-939-1979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clean Sweep: 7:30 a.m. May 10. Volunteers needed for annual community service projects in four local parks. Breakfast provided for volunteers at City Hall. Registration required. Auburn City Hall, 25 W. Main St. 253-931-3043 or www.auburnwa.gov.
Natural Yard Care program: 7-9 p.m. April 10, 17 and 24. Learn to minimize chemical pesticide use, conserve water and reduce yard waste going to landfills. Cost: Free. Mount Baker Middle School, 620 37th St. S.E.
“Homeschool Q & A” seminar: 7-8:30 p.m. April 24. Speaker Candice Childs will answer questions from parents interested in homeschooling. Cost: Free. Federal Way Regional Library, 34200 First Way S., Federal Way. 206-246-9227.
Financial literacy for domestic violence victims: 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays through May 27. Class will cover safety and finances, basic banking, budgeting and more. Childcare and transportation available. Cost: Free. Call for details. Held at confidential Southside location. 206-799-6209 or email@example.com.
Auburn Parks, Arts & Recreation: City of Auburn offers a variety of continuing education classes including creative arts, watercolor painting, Spanish, dance, buying real estate and more. Call for details. 253-931-3043, www.auburnwa.gov.
Buddhist Temple Spring Fundraiser Dinner: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. April 20. Features sukiyaki or chicken teriyaki dinner. Cost: $10. White River Buddhist Temple, 3625 Auburn Way N., Auburn. 253-833-1442 or www.whiteriverbuddhisttmpl.org.
Church space available: All Saints Lutheran Church has open space for a small mission church needing a place to worship. Call for details. All Saints Lutheran Church, 27225 Military Road, Auburn. 253-852-4884.
NW Neighborhood Nutrition: Noon and 6 p.m. April 10. Features weight-loss challenge, nutrition workshop and personal coaching. Cost: $39 for weight-loss challenge; free for nutrition workshop. Kent Commons, 525 Fourth Ave. N., Kent. 206-579-4581 or www.nwnnonline.com.
Step Aerobic/Weights Class: 7-8 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost: $79 for 10 weeks. King County Fire Department No. 44, Station 92, 31709 Kent-Black Diamond Road, Auburn. 253-631-6350 or 425-413-1623.
Yoga classes: 5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Fridays. Rockin’ Horse Dance Barn, 11820 150th Ave. S.E., Renton. 425-255-9211 or www.learn2dance4fun.com.
Auburn Library, 1102 Auburn Way S., Auburn. 253-931-3018. Library events include:
• Game On!: 3 p.m. Wednesdays, April 9-30. Teens can play Guitar Hero, DDR and other Wii and GameCube games at the library.
• Super Smash-A-Thon: 2 p.m. April 10. Open to teens to play the new Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii. Registration: 2 p.m. Gaming: 3 p.m.
• ESL: 6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. Learn English grammar, reading, writing and conversation skills.
• Computer Classes: Library offers a variety of classes, including “Microsoft Excel,” “Microsoft Word” and “Intro to Computers.” Call for details, registration.
• Friends of the Auburn Library: 7 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of the month.
• Genealogy assistance: 1 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays; 7 p.m. the second and fourth Mondays of the month.
• Teen Advisory Board: 2 p.m. the fourth Saturday of the month.
• Teen Book Group: 4:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month.
Algona-Pacific Library, 225 Ellingson Road, Pacific. 253-833-3554. Library events include:
• Northwest Carvers Association woodcarving demonstrations: 5-8 p.m. the second and fourth Mondays of the month through April. Free. Call for details: 253-569-2140.
• Read Three, Get One Free: Teens, ages 12-18, can read three books, write three short, thoughtful reviews and get a new paperback book free. Pick up an entry form at the library or online at www.kcls.org/read3.
AARP Tax Aide Program: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. through April 12. Volunteers will provide free tax assistance. Bring a copy of last year’s tax return, all current tax documents, photo ID and Social Security Card. Call for appointments, details. Auburn Library, 1102 Auburn Way S. 253-931-3018.
Auburn Senior Activity Center, 808 Ninth St. S.E. 253-931-3016 or www.auburnwa.gov. Senior activities include:
• Senior Coffee Hours with the Mayor and Councilmembers: 10-11 a.m. the second Thursday of the month. April 10: Council members Nancy Backus and Rich Wagner.• Lunch: Noon Mondays-Fridays. Registration for lunch begins at 11 a.m. Choose from soup and sandwich or the main meal menu. Cost: $3 donation for ages 60 and older; $5.75 for those younger than 60.
• Movie screenings: 12:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Refreshments provided. Cost: Free.
• Meals on Wheels: Senior Services’ Meals on Wheels program offers home-delivered meals to home-bound seniors. For more information call the Auburn Senior Center at 253-931-3016.
• Enhance Wellness Program: Registered nurse and social worker are on-site to help individuals work towards their own health and wellness goals. Call for details.
Veterans Outreach: 3:15-6:15 p.m. April 15 and May 13. Veterans and their families can get assistance in applying for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs from a Disabled American Veterans Service Officer. Kent Library, 212 Second Ave. N. 253-859-6439.
Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser:
10 a.m.-3 p.m. April 5; 10 a.m.-
2 p.m. April 6. Admission: Free. Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden, 33663 Weyerhaeuser Way S., Federal Way. 253-661-9377 or www.rhodygarden.org.
American Roots Series—Horizon and Cabin Fever NW: 7:30 p.m. April 26. Two Northwest folk groups to perform. Cost: $15-$20. Auburn Riverside Theater, 501 Oravetz Road, Auburn. 800-838-3006, www.brownpapertickets.com or www.rainierconcerts.com.
Auburn Symphony Orchestra Spring Concert—“The Bohemian Life”: 7:30 p.m. April 26; 2:30 p.m. April 27. Pre-concert lecture begins 45 minutes before performances. Cost: $17-$25. Auburn Performing Arts Center, 700 E. Main St. 253-939-8509 or www.auburnsymphony.org.
Auburn Rotarians’ 25th annual Scholarship Show: 7 p.m.
May 16. Features Blake Shelton, star of NBC’s “Clash of the Choirs,” along with music group Jypsi. Cost: $35. Auburn Performing Arts Center, 915 Fourth St. N.E. 206-628-0888 or www.ticketmaster.com.
“Romeo and Juliet”: 7:30 p.m. April 18. Presented by the Seattle Shakespeare Company. Cost: $11.50-$15. Auburn Performing Arts Center, 700 E. Main St., Auburn. 253-931-3043.
“Three Billy Goats Gruff”:
2 p.m. May 3. Puppet show by Thistle Puppet Theatre is part
of the 2008 Avenue Kids Series. Cost: $6. Auburn Avenue Theater, 10 Auburn Ave. 253-931-3043, 253-833-5678 or www.auburnwa.gov/arts.