Auburn man charged with murder in Capitol Hill light rail stabbing

Seattle police arrested a 26-year-old Auburn man for the May 11 stabbing death of a 37-year-old man at the Capitol Hill Link light rail station in Seattle.

Law enforcement arrested Shawn Patrick Moore, 26, without incident on May 13 in Eatonville. The King County Superior Court found probable cause for charges of murder in the second degree and tampering with a witness against Moore at his first appearance hearing May 14.

According to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office, 37-year-old Corey Evan Bellett died as a result of multiple stab wounds. The medical examiner’s office identified Bellett’s death as a homicide. According to documents, the autopsy reported that Bellett suffered three stab wounds: one to his neck that perforated his trachea and the anterior side of the jugular vein, one to his left forearm, and one to his left torso.

According to documents, East Precinct Seattle police patrol officers responded at approximately 5:49 p.m. May 11 to a report of a stabbing at the Capitol Hill station at 140 Broadway East. Officers arrived and provided aid to Bellett, suffering from multiple stab wounds, prior to the arrival of the Seattle Fire Department. Bellett died at Harborview Medical Center as a result of his injuries after the Seattle Fire Department transported him to the hospital.

According to documents, video footage of the incident showed Moore and a second individual following behind Bellett, prior to the second individual confronting Bellett for brushing past him as he descended an escalator.

After exchanging words with the second individual, Bellett addressed Moore. Bellett pushed Moore, and Moore pushed back and attempted to strike Bellett in the face. As the physical conflict continued, Moore pulled out “what is believed to be” a knife, with video showing Moore performing multiple back-and-forth motions at Bellett with the knife, according to documents.

According to documents, Bellett appeared to retreat, falling atop the northbound light rail tracks with Moore following on the platform above him.

Moore thrusted again at Bellett as Bellett attempted to back away, prior to fleeing to the stairs and ascending out of the far south end of the stations, as the second individual left through the elevator.

Bellett climbed back atop the platform, blood falling to the ground, and asked train patrons for help.

Transit security called for assistance and Bellett kneeled down, holding his neck and upper chest, with Seattle police and Seattle Fire Department medics arriving later.

Following an investigation into the incident, a Seattle Police Department detective and a task force officer with the U.S. Marshal’s Office coordinated a check of an address in Eatonville belonging to Moore’s girlfriend and arrested Moore without incident.

The King County Superior Court set Moore’s bail at $3 million at his first appearance hearing on May 11 after hearing from both prosecutors and Moore’s defense team, according to Casey McNerthney, director of communications for the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

Prosecutors anticipate receiving a case referred from police by the afternoon of May 16 for a charging decision, according to McNerthney.

“Mr. Moore is expected to remain in jail on the bail amount set by the court,” McNerthney stated.