This is the first of six weekends when state Department of Transportation contractor crews will close lanes to repave lanes between State Route 516 in Kent and South 170th Street in SeaTac:
• From 8 p.m. Friday, June 2, to 5 a.m. Monday, June 5, northbound I-5 will be down to two lanes at SR 516.
• The SR 516 on-ramp to northbound I-5, the off- and on-ramps at Military Road and South 188th Street/Orillia Road will also be closed.
State DOT officials see backups anytime it reduces lanes of a major highway. Similar work last year on southbound I-5 in South King County produced 20- to 40-minute delays. Some ideas that may help:
• Take transit – a bus or light rail allows you to relax and reduces the number of cars on the road.
• Use alternative routes – SR 99, SR 509, SR 167 and I-405 can take you around the I-5 backups.
• Avoid using I-5 late morning through the early evening. Going earlier or later can help you dodge the heaviest congestion.