Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Fire caused by man running generator during power outage | Fire blotter

  • Wednesday, October 21, 2020 3:38pm
  • News

Between Oct. 12 and Oct. 18, the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 239 calls for service, among them the following:

Oct. 12

Fuel spill: 9:26 a.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters broke out buckets to capture gasoline dripping from a crack in the fuel tank of a classic Dodge Challenger, then called a tow truck to help mitigate the problem by siphoning gas from the tank into approved containers.

Oct. 13

Accident: 4:30 p.m., (Auburn). After a T-Bone accident, firefighters extricated a passenger who couldn’t get himself out and was complaining of pain, then transported him and the driver to a local hospital. The driver of the other vehicle declined transportation.

Home fire: 10:30 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters responding to a residence marred by a whiff of something nasty discovered that the owner, who was running his generator in the wake of a power outage, had placed the exhaust pipe of the device too close to the house, causing a smoldering fire that got into the wall. Firefighters opened up a section of the wall of the garage to get to the hidden fire and put it out.

Oct. 14

Accident: 5:05 p.m., (Pacific). Firefighters responding to a single-vehicle accident that was blocking lanes of traffic on southbound Highway 167 created a safety corridor, stabilized the vehicle, and assessed the minor injuries of the lone occupant of the vehicle, a woman, before family members drove her home. The vehicle itself sustained moderate damage to its front end, including airbag deployment.

Oct. 16

Aid call: 8:51 a.m., (Auburn). Firefighters and paramedics treated a man in his mid-20s who had accidentally shot himself in the thigh, fracturing his femur. Medics airlifted the man to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Cell phone fire: 8:49 p.m., (Lea Hill). Firefighters responding to report of a cell phone a-blaze in an apartment arrived to find that the resident had already extinguished the conflagration, but that the phone had melted to the carpet. The woman told fire officials that she’d been trying to replace the phone’s battery when the fire started.

Oct. 18

Aid call: 6:54 p.m., (Auburn). While firefighters and King County Medics were evaluating a a senior citizen who was complaining of a decreased level of consciousness, she stopped breathing and lost her pulse. Crews initiated CPR and IV treatments, and after a few minutes, the woman regained spontaneous circulation, whereupon medics transported her to MultiCare Auburn Medical Center for further treatment and evaluation.

Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

File photo
Snow Lake, located near Snoqualmie Pass in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
Washington releases new forest plan

It outlines ways the state will protect and maintain forest health.

File photo
Vandals damage Denny’s – and other hijinks | Auburn police blotter

Auburn Police responded to the following calls for service, among many others,… Continue reading

MultiCare Auburn Medical Center. 	File photo
Auburn hospital sees 50 percent increase in COVID cases

In past month, Auburn Medical Center’s average rises to 20 patients a day.

King County Council has nine members who each represent a district. Courtesy of
King County Council passes $12.59 billion biennial budget

King County Council on Nov. 17 passed a $12.59 billion biennial budget… Continue reading

Colin Schilling, CEO of Schilling’s Hard Cider. 	File photo
Prosecutor accuses Kent man of cider and clothing theft

Colin Schilling, CEO of Schilling’s Hard Cider, was on his way to… Continue reading

Courtesy Photo
Family seeks answers in Auburn fatal hit and run

Driver who killed Ardella Songcuan, 61, is still at large.

Survey aims to improve how Auburn serves its residents

On Nov. 2, an online community survey asking whether Auburn residents would… Continue reading

State Sen. Mark Mullet (D-Issaquah) authored the letter to Gov. Jay Inslee. Mullet represents the 5th Legislative District. File photo
Democratic lawmakers ask Inslee to lift ban on indoor dining

They want to try to scaling back on occupancy before forcing an end to inside service.

Positive COVID tests at Auburn hospital

Auburn Multicare Medical Center last week reported at least five employees and… Continue reading

Most Read