Man charged with Valentine’s Day murder in Auburn

King County prosecutors have charged a 32-year-old Kent man with the murder of a 34-year-old woman in Auburn on Valentine’s Day.

Prosecutors filed a felony charge of murder in the first degree on Feb. 21 against Calvin Jackson Jr., 32, for the shooting death of Anicia Howard, 34, on Feb. 14, stating Jackson killed Howard with premeditated intent.

According to prosecutorial documents, Jackson hid in Howard’s backseat after sneaking into her vehicle prior to shooting her multiple times in the back through her seat.

According to documents, after shooting her, he transported Howard, driving her vehicle to a parking lot in the 3700 block of West Valley Highway North. At the parking lot, he dragged her from the vehicle and fired a round into her face, killing her.

An autopsy conducted at the King County Medical Examiner’s Office found Howard died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds to her head and torso. A majority of bullets struck Howard in the back, including one to the back of her head.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, Auburn police officers discovered Howard after responding at approximately 2:24 p.m. Feb. 14 to a report of a woman lying on the ground motionless with a bullet casing next to her.

Officers located Howard hidden in bushes and foliage next to a commercial business complex, according to documents. They removed a fabric material covering her face and saw a gunshot wound to the right side of her face.

According to prosecutorial documents, Howard was the mother of Jackson’s children.

In an interview with police, Jackson stated Howard asked him to move out multiple times in recent months, and learned four days prior to her death of Howard’s new romantic relationship with a woman.

Jackson described to police unlocking her vehicle at around midnight after leaving the apartment. At approximately 3:30 p.m., he hid in her vehicle and waited in the backseat.

Jackson returned home to his and Howard’s children and Howard’s mother after the murder, according to documents. According to the affidavit, Jackson and Howard’s mother reported Howard missing to the Kent Police Department. Jackson expressed concern to the Kent officer that Howard had failed to show up for work.

Auburn police arrested Jackson the next day on Feb. 15. Jackson voluntarily arrived at the police station for an interview and provided his consent for detectives to search his cellphone.

Detectives located a rideshare history on Jackson’s cellphone showing canceled rides from the 2500 block of Lake Fenwick Road to his address at around 6 a.m. as additional detectives on the case located Howard’s vehicle in the area, with bullet holes in the driver’s seat.

Jackson confessed to shooting Howard after the discovery of her vehicle, according to documents. The King County Superior Court scheduled Jackson’s arraignment hearing for March 6. Prosecutors requested the court set Jackson’s bail at $5 million.