They parted like it was 1899.
Dressed for the Victorian era, they danced, shared tea, conversation and laughter to celebrate a treasured landmark Saturday.
The restored Neely Mansion, a National Historic Site, turned 125 years old. The community – mansion caretakers, historians, civic leaders and guests came to marvel at the well-maintained structure.
Ceremonies honored the five diverse families who lived at mansion, at 12303 Auburn Black Diamond Road, from the Victorian era through the 1980s. The Cascade Foothills Chorale played period music. The Washington State Square and Folk Dance Federation performed.
Refreshments were served and tours of the mansion, gardens, vintage farm equipment and 1930s Japanese bathhouse followed the ceremonies.
Neely Mansion, which stands just outside city limits, was the home and farm of several families dating back to some of the first pioneers to come to the area.
By the 1970s, the well-lived-in home was in a state of massive disrepair, and its caretakers were unable to undertake the task of restoration. That’s when the Neely Mansion Association stepped in, merging with the Auburn Arts Council in 1985 to take ownership of the building and start the years-long process of restoring the mansion to its former glory.
The mansion, built in 1894, has been recognized as a King County Landmark and is listed on the Washington State Register and National Register of Historic Places. According to the King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission, Neely Mansion remains a “prominent and impressive structure for a rural farming community” and is “one of the most ornate historic homes in unincorporated King County.”
Learn more at neelymansion.org