Thursday morning fire spares occupants, home sustains limited damage

  • Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:56pm
  • News
Thursday morning fire spares occupants, home sustains limited damage

No one was hurt and a two-story home sustained only limited damage in a house fire in the 3500 block of Orchard Street Southeast late Thursday morning.

Credit the actions of a quick-to-respond neighbor and the efficient work of the Valley Regional Fire Authority.

According to VRFA investigators, oily kitchen towels someone had used to soak up cooking oil and then washed and placed in a clothes dryer got hot enough to start the fire.

Multiple callers reported smoke and flames shortly before 11:30 a.m., and when firefighters arrived, they saw smoke and a neighbor applying water with a garden hose, likely slowing the spread of the flames.

Fire crews quickly contained the fire, limiting damage to an upstairs bathroom and bedroom.

The VRFA got help from the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority, South King Fire & Rescue, Renton Regional Fire Authority and King County Medic One.

The VRFA reminds everyone to use caution whenever when they wash towels or rags containing oils. A little known fact is that oils cannot generally be removed in one wash, and may ignite in the clothes dryer. People should either dispose of these towels in a sealed metal container or wash them multiple times to ensure the oils are removed. Do not place these towels in the dryer, instead hang them to dry.




Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@auburn-reporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.auburn-reporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

An AR-15. Courtesy photo
Mags, open carry at protests and AR-15s on Olympia’s agenda

Lawmakers are eyeing a number of bills which could change firearm regulations in the state.

Washington State Capitol Building in Olympia. File photo
Lawmakers consider prohibiting use of credit score to determine insurance rates

Advocates say credit scoring makes low-income and minority policy holders pay more for coverage.

West Point Wastewater Treatment Plant. Photo courtesy of Washington Department of Ecology.
EPA loans King County $96.8 million to prevent untreated water from spilling into Puget Sound

Loan comes a week after an over 10 million gallon overflow into the Puget Sound and Lake Washington.

Courtesy photo
Survey shows rent debt to be disproportionately distributed among minorities

More than half of Black renters surveyed said they owed rent money from previous months.

Photo courtesy of South Sound News
2-year-old child, woman rescued from Auburn house fire

Fire started in the garage around 11:40 p.m. Jan. 20 near the 30100 block of 50th Lane S. in Auburn.

File photo
Toy thief uses pepper spray at Auburn grocery store

Typically, the daily log of police activities the Auburn Police Department forwards… Continue reading

Kent Hay, Auburn’s Outreach Program Administrator, explores homeless encampments last fall in Auburn. File photo
Auburn to continue agreement over day and night homeless shelters

In mid-2018, the City of Auburn began a partnership with the Auburn… Continue reading

File photo
Kid blows up power transformer with bow and arrow | Auburn police blotter

Auburn police responded to the following calls for service, among many others,… Continue reading

Firefighters give aid to a cat while responding to an apartment fire Jan. 15 in the 1200 block of Auburn Way South. Photo courtesy of Valley Regional Fire Authority
Firefighters respond to Auburn apartment fire | Fire blotter

Between Jan. 11 and Jan. 17, the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded… Continue reading

Most Read