Mountain View Fire & Rescue responded and quickly extinguished a detached garage fire in rural Auburn early Thursday morning, preventing it from spreading to other structures.
Firefighters got the call around 3:42 a.m. and found the garage fully involved in fire with the roof collapsed at a residence near 190th Avenue SE and SE Lake Holm Road.
There were no injuries to firefighters or the resident.
The investigator ruled the fire accidental with a possible cause being from heating lamps inside the garage to keep chickens and/or turkeys warm.
Heat lamp safety reminder:
• Heating lamps should be used cautiously and they should always have a UL certification.
• It is important that the heat lamps are securely fastened to a solid object and not just held on with a spring clamp since this may case the heat lamp to fall and cause a fire.
• It is important to keep combustible material such as shavings, cardboard, fuel, etc., away from heat lamps to avoid starting a fire.
• Be sure to keep electrical cords away from animals. This will prevent the animals from chewing on the cord or knocking down the heat lamp.
• Do not overload electrical circuits since heating lamps use more electricity than regular light bulbs.
Mountain View Fire & Rescue serves the City of Black Diamond and part of the Muckleshoot Indian tribe along areas of unincorporated Auburn, Enumclaw and Kent. The organization is a combination department with both career and volunteer personnel.